As an organic substance, your pearls need a little looking after. A little care invested in your pearls will pay off in the long run.
Last on, first off
- To minimize contact with perfume, make-up, perspiration etc. which can alter your pearls’ lustre or colour, your pearls should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off.
- Wipe your pearls gently with a warm damp cloth to remove body oils before putting them away.
Wearing your pearls
- Wear your pearls often to allow them to breathe.
- Re-string your pearls every 1-2 years depending on how frequently you wear them.
- Avoid contacting pearls with perspiration, make-up, oils, creams, perfume, hairspray, chlorine, acids, ultrasonic cleaners, dust and grit.
Storing your pearls
- Keep your pearls straight if possible and protected in a soft material such as velvet, silk or satin.
- Do not let your pearls rub against hard objects such as gold and diamond jewellery.
- Avoid very dry or extreme heat conditions.
- If not worn frequently, store your pearls in slightly damp linen to help prevent them drying out.