Pearl Re-stringing Service
The need for re-stringing PEARLS
Most gold and other types of jewellery can be rinsed under water and carefully cleaned with a soft toothbrush or similar for a 'spruce up', apart from specialist cleaning. Unfortunately, this is not the case with pearls.
With strands of pearls, dirt and grease eventually gets in between the pearls and attacks the material upon which they are threaded. As the thread weakens, the more chance there is of it snapping. Eventually, the thread will look discoloured, stretched and tired.
As with everything else, the ‘life’ of an object depends on how well you look after it. Typical recommendations for re-stringing pearls are usually every 1-2 years. This depends on how often you wear your pearls and how well you care for them after use.
- ‘Baroque’ Pearls
The fashionable baroque type pearls (often multi-strand) usually cost less than £70 or so. Due to the original cost, most people would not have them re-strung until four or five years (if at all) after purchase and then it would sometimes make sense to just buy a new one in the latest fashion.
- Classic Pearls
For the more classic single strand style of round or round type pearls, which usually cost well over £100, you will want to maintain these well as they are quite often very precious and some can be considered investments.
When to have your pearls re-strung
As a guideline, if you wear your pearls weekly or more often, you are probably going to need to re-string once every couple of years or so. If you are wearing your pearls once a month or less, then re-stringing every three or four years will usually suffice.
Look carefully between your pearls at the thread. If it is bright white (original thread - white), they probably do not need re-stringing. If the thread is greasy, turning grey or you can see dirt accumulation, especially near the drill hole of the pearl, it is probably time to have them re-strung. The longer you leave it, the more difficult re-stringing can be as the thread can get stuck in the drill hole.
Free, no-obligation re-stringing quote
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0151 625 7688 for a free quotation, giving full details of the pearls – size, shape, colour, number of pearls, length of jewellery item (total length if multi-strand) and approximate valuation.
Our basic guideline price for re-stringing is £3.00 per strand inch which includes VAT and return by Royal Mail Special Delivery service at an insurance level that covers the value of your pearls (maximum £2,500).
- Our minimum charge for re-stringing is £40.00. However, we are flexible in our pricing for this service as requirements may be different, so do please call or e-mail for an accurate quotation.
- We use strong white or black pearl thread according to your requirement. For smaller pearls/smaller drill holes, two strands will be used, four strands for larger pearls/drill holes. A single or double knot is made between each pearl, again dependant on pearl size. Both ends which attach to the clasp will be finished with silver or gold coloured spiral wire.
- We recommend that you use Royal Mail Special Delivery (Insured Service) or other secure insured delivery service to send us your pearls. Until we receive your pearls, we cannot accept any responsibility for them.
- If there are no complications, we will dispatch your pearls back to you two working days after receipt. If your request is urgent, please advise us and we will do our best to help you.
- We can re-string your faux or imitation pearls as well. Call us, or fill in the form provided above now for a free, no-obligation quote.